Thursday, August 30, 2012

Tip Top Shape

Baby yoga - the hot new thing.
Eli's been in the gym - workin' on his fitness.  He's doing three-a-days.  What a stud.  Sometimes he gets annoyed when his mom lounges on the floor and critiques his form while he's working out, but the effort is paying off!  Here's a little video of his latest workout.


Mama has been in the gym too.  Daddy and Eli have man time about every other day while I relive the golden years working out at the K-State Rec.  Working out is much more entertaining when you can people-watch.  My favorites include the girls who bought their shorts in the toddler section, the freshmen who spend their entire 'workout' walking around in groups of four, and the guys who wear shirts that say 'Testosterone' in giant letters across their chest.  I can't make this stuff up people.  Ah, college students.

That leads me to story #1 - A few days ago, I was doing lunges in the back corner of the weight room (great place to do my people watching covertly).  Just so happened I was standing next to a squat bar that had not been emptied of the four 45 lb plates 'Mr. Testosterone' had apparently been squatting.  A kid walks up and asks if I'm almost done.  Almost done doing my lunges?  Uh, sure.  Then I realize, he's wanting to use the squat bar.  Oh, that?  Yes, I believe I'm done squatting my 225 pounds for the day.  It's all yours.  Ha!


E-man and I have also been lacing up our running shoes again.  What do you do when you get the 'all-clear' at your 6 week appointment?  You buy new running shoes!  These beauties are the Mizuno Inspire 8.  I started wearing these a long, long time ago.  Pretty sure I started with the Inspire 2 way back when.  Anywho, just so happens that the color this year is purple.  Go Cats!


The only 3 pairs that remain in order of demotion from right to left:  running, 'trail' running (aka running anywhere that will get my shoes dirty), and yard work playing in the mud.

So when planning my comeback, I decided I'd give the Couch to 5K training plan a try.  I've always heard great things about it, but honestly had never really been in a position where I needed to work up to a 5K.  Post-pregnancy, however?  That's exactly the position I'm in :)  And...I love it.  If you are thinking you want to get your booty out there and do some running, I'd strongly encourage it.  It's structured for you to do three 30 minute workouts per week.  Well, E and I have lots of time on our hands so we've been moving through the workouts a little quicker than that.  We usually do two at a time giving us an hour workout.  The plan starts out with short amounts of running interspersed with walking.  The first week has you jog 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds for the duration of your 30 minute workout.  I'm currently on Week 6 of the plan and the running portions have gotten significantly longer.  So we're still doing two workouts, but I've switched it up a little.  For the first 30 minutes I complete whichever workout I'm ready for (today was Week 6, Day 1).  For the second half of my workout I go back and do one of the early walk/run workouts.  This allows me to get some interval/speed work in along with the longer runs. Once I get my rear back in shape, I'm eager to check out the C210K app next.

My coach.  No slacking with this guy at the helm.

And that leads me to story #2 - Yesterday, Eli and I are running our usual route, traveling west down Marlatt.  As we approach the bridge that takes us toward home we notice a utility truck with a flashing light on top stopped near our bridge.  As I'm explaining to Eli what a utility worker does, he asks "Why does the utility worker have a net?"  Great question E-man.  That worker has a net because he's not from the utility company, he's from animal control.  Cue blood pressure spike.  At this point we have made it to the bridge and I cheerily ask the man "What are you trying to catch?"  The animal control officer, who looks more qualified to eat a donut than catch an animal, points to the field and says "A dog.  A smart dog."  Oh, I say quickly as I  make my 180 degree turn to scurry back where I came from.  "I wouldn't go over the bridge if I were you," he tells me.  "It's some kind of pit-bull mix and he seems pretty agitated and kind of aggressive."  " K, thanks" I holler over my shoulder as Eli and I make our desperate escape back down Marlatt.  And, for those of you who know me well, you will not be surprised that I cried as I ran until the utility worker, his truck, and his aggressive dog were well out of sight. 

You'll be glad to know Eli and I got up again this morning and laced up our kicks.  We weren't going to let one little puppy dog scare us.  We decided we'd try a new route, far far away from the Marlatt bridge. 

In 4 short days it will be time for E's 2 month post.  Where has time gone?!?  See ya next time.




1 comment: