Monday, September 3, 2012

It's Tradition

I love traditions.  And this weekend was filled with traditions - starting with a Saturday full of college football.  Is there a better time to live in a college town? 
But dad, why can't I go to the game?!?!

We all got decked out in our purple ready to cheer on our Cats.  Unfortunately, Eli isn't quite up for the games yet which means he and I (and Aunt A) hung out at home while everyone else endured the sun, humidity and heat.  I definitely missed the crowd, the Wabash, the team running out on the field and the K-S-U echoing through the stadium, but I didn't envy everyone sweltering in the sun while I hung out with my baby in the air conditioning. 
Goooo Wildcats!

I also love traditions that involve all the people I love.  And good food.  The big # 2-9 is coming up this Friday, which meant a Labor Day weekend celebration was in order.  My birthday always falls on or around Labor Day and when I was in college I would usually come home for the long weekend.  While I was home, we would inevitably have a family dinner of Taco Salad and Oreo ice cream dessert.  My two all-time favorites.  As I got older, I wondered if it was maybe getting weird that I was still having a 'birthday party' every year?!?  That was, until the year we missed our Labor Day tradition.  I received complaints that year from many of my family members that they had had to endure a Labor Day weekend void of the traditional taco salad and oreo ice cream dessert.

One year my mom asked if I was sure I didn't want a different meal???  I laughed.  And she hasn't asked since.  Would people even come if we changed up the menu on them?

I realize all of this might sound completely silly to most of you.  But, it's tradition.  You don't mess with tradition.  And for those of you Labor Day weekend attendees, you understand what I mean.  A Labor Day without Taco Salad?  Ha!

So, yesterday our family got together for our annual tradition.  As always, it was wonderful.  Lots of food.  Lots of laughter.  Lots of stories.  And, of course, this year the little man stole the show.  We feel so blessed that he has so many people in his life who love him so much. 
Eli was just as excited about family pictures as his dad was.

Next year we will celebrate.  Next year we will have Taco Salad.  But next year it will be in honor of Eli's 14 month birthday because it certainly won't be in honor of my 30th.  Yikes!

Oh, hey.  Just chillin' with Uncle Bogey.


1 comment: