Friday, May 18, 2012

Highlight Reel


As my first year as the counselor at WMS comes to a close, here are the highlights....

- 33 Staff Members, 3 grade levels, 322 students, 1 counselor, 192 days with kids, 4 days off
- 27 Classroom Guidance lessons, 3 small groups, HUNDREDS of individual counseling sessions
- A little bullying, some drama, and a lot of emails

Highlights:
- #1 - WMS Ambassadors Advisor -   It's not often in my job that I get to work with the best of the best, but these guys are just that.  Thirty 8th graders who were committed to being Ambassadors for our school.  They welcomed visitors, gave tours to new students, helped plan and advertise for events, did fundraisers, and, most importantly, mentored 6th graders.  The Mentoring program partners one eighth grader with one sixth grader.  We met every Friday during Advisory time to do team-building activities, eat pizza or just hang out.  Words cannot describe how much growth I saw in the 'bigs' and the 'littles' over the course of the year.  It is a great day when you see 14 year olds go out of their way to help other people...especially when it will do nothing to advance their social status.  What impressed me the most was how far these mentors went to make a difference in their little's life....without me asking them to do it.  They showed up when their little was in the spelling bee, they took the time to find out their birthday and then remembered it, they wrote notes of encouragement, they played "Ninja"  and Hide and Seek, they decorated each other's lockers and they showed up when a family member passed away.  We give teenagers a hard time about being selfish and lazy and irresponsible, but if we set the expectation high and give them a chance they'll come through. 

2011-2012 WMS Ambassadors!
Bigs and Littles

Mentoring "Minute to Win It"
- #2 - Boys' Club (plus me).  My 'squirrel's' who I love dearly.  Having a bad Thursday morning?  Just spend 30 minutes with seven 12 year old boys and you'll be good to go.  We learned about listening and getting along and how to handle it when things don't go our way.  We ate brownies and chips and cupcakes.  We played tag and made videos.  Most importantly we learned about ourselves, how to get along with others and we made some great friends.

- #3 - Teaching - Getting to be back in the classroom.  In front of 25 middle schoolers.  Teaching.  I love teaching, I love interacting with teenagers, I love making them think, and I love hearing what they have to say.  I got to teach every Tuesday and it was wonderful.  While I miss A LOT of things about being a high school counselor, I am so glad I am finally back in the classroom. 

Of course there are dozens of other stories and experiences that include not so pretty things such as heartbreak, mad parents, neglected children, failing grades and more, but this is a happy blog so we'll just stick with the happy highlights. 


In other news....I am now 7.5 months pregnant.  Ikes!  This pic was taken a few weeks ago...
7 months


How far along: 32 weeks

Size of Baby G:  3.75 pounds and 16.75 inches. 
Body changes: Had to purchase a new sports bra....in a size I've never owned.  End of story.

Sleep: Actually, really good this week.  Exhaustion mixed with school wrapping up equals the perfect recipe for good sleep :)
Best moment this week:  My first mother's day spent with the people I love!

Movement: Non.Stop.
Food Cravings:  Ice water!

What I miss:  Cookie dough and working out.  Is that an oxymoron?
Milestones: Last full week of school!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment