Sunday, June 3, 2012

Birthing Class 101

R and I attended our 'baby class' yesterday at the hospital.  It was 6 hours of deep breathing, contraction timing, labor videos, and a maternity floor tour.  Here's a summary:

- We're going to need a U-Haul to get to the hospital with all of the recommended items:  a birthing ball, cooler, pillows, 'focus' items from the nursery, change of clothes for mom, change of clothes for dad, CD of relaxing music, your own pillow case, yoga mat, etc.
- R got lots of practice on his massaging and relaxation techniques - something I will let him continue to work on for the next 5 weeks.  :)
- Out of 14 couples, we probably weren't the most mature ones there.  We  weren't the youngest either.
-  They still use the 'hee hee hoo' breathing method.  R was better at it than I was- I just laughed.
- The 'maternity ward' is like a 5 star spa complete with a hot tub in every room, room service and a full size bed.
- R votes for an epidural.  K votes for sneaking in snacks when the nurses aren't looking.  Different priorities?!?
- I have a strong aversion towards the use of a vacuum or forceps (aka salad tossers).  
- R's number one coping/distraction mechanism = humor.  Let's hope I still think he's funny 6 hours into labor. 
- R has decided if he can make it through the contractions, he'll be good to go.  However, during delivery, his biological curiosity will draw him down toward the doctor or he'll be passed out cold on the floor.  Either way, he'll be utterly useless to me. 
- Just kidding on the last one, he has been and will continue to be a great coach.  I have no worries.


Quote of the day:  "Pictures fill dads' pockets where their money used to be."
Question of the day:  "What happens if you go into labor during game day traffic?"  Luckily, that won't affect us, but that guy definitely thinks like my husband :)

**********
                                       
This picture has nothing to do with this post, but every post needs a pic, right?  Plus, this is the perfect representation of what a wonderful dad R is going to be.  Our good friends from Emporia were in town for a baseball tourney.  Their boys adore R and he was a champ with their newest addition too.  So blessed to have this family in our lives!

 
 ***********

How far along: 34 weeks
Size of Baby G:  Almost 5 pounds (on average) 
Body changesThe awful pain in my upper back has moved to my ribs, but it's still only when I sit.  
Sleep: Wonderful - my alarm clock is on a 3 month break!
Best moment this week:  In true summer fashion, I spent the week coaching swim team (filling in for a friend).  Little kids + Swimming pools = My dream job.
Movement: Baby G has developed hiccups...at least once a day.  They say that's a good sign of lung development!
Food Cravings:  Lemonade and pink lemonade.  (Update:  Mama made me a batch of summer slush and I wasn't disappointed)
What I miss:  My regular clothes.
Milestones: Baby class complete - we're ready to do this thing!

1 comment:

  1. K I so enjoy your blog updates. I can only imagine the stories that will come out of the delivery room when Baby G joins us in person. This little guy is lucky to have parents like you and R.

    God Bless you during your last weeks of carrying Baby G. There are many of us who are anxious for him to come out and play.

    Love Grandpa G.

    ReplyDelete